Wednesday, March 15, 2006

It's a Boy!


The other day I was shopping and as I was checking out, the cashier asked me how many months I was. I told her that I was 7 months, to which she replied," Turn around, so I can see your belly." Confusedly I complied, expecting her to comment, as many people normally do, on whether I seemed big or small for 7 months. She surprised me by announcing that it was going to be a boy and telling me to come in when the baby was born to let her know.

I think it's so funny the amount of conversations that a pregnant belly begin. As a rule customer service in this country is not so friendly. They tell you your tally and then silently send you on your way. However, when you have a pregnant belly (if the cashier is female) the door it wide open to conversation. I've heard about women's friends who just had babies, their names and sizes. I've heard about thier own children or grandchildren. On my daily walk the other day a couple chatted to me about my pregnancy and I was reminded by the husband that I was now in the bad part of pregnancy. I'm frequently reminded about how painful labor is going to be (usually by men whom, I think, are fascinated by the idea of labour and how painful it is.) At church, my belly is patted and my size is ALWAYS commented on. There is queries about how I feel, etc. It's amazing!

I also find it wondrous at the things that people feel comfortable saying. One woman at church came up and told me how she thought I was just fat, but then remembered that I was pregnant. Hmmm.... Many people told me at the beginning that I was huge and would probably have twins, sending me into weeks of panic that twins were on the way. It's pretty incredible that something like pregnancy can bring a whole world of people together...or at least give us something to talk about for a few minutes.

4 comments:

elnellis said...

you are so right erk. the prego belly is license for instant intimacy with total strangers... ruth found that when she was pregnant people would cater to her and open doors, carry her groceries out to the car, etc... but now that she's lugging around a 20 lb ham named sylas, people let doors slam in her face. it's so weird, the "sacred" element of a pregnant woman- which is entirely appropriate, so enjoy it!
congrats to both of you, can't wait to find out who this little sprout is.

elnellis said...

oh pregnant woman (as i was refered to by a woman who in her words "almost killed the pregnant woman with her shopping cart" called me)! you are looking glorious! i absolutley love the stage you are in right now - enjoy it :)
can't wait to hear all the grisly details of labour and birth ;)
blessings on these next few mths of "singleness".
mum to "the boy with big blue eyes"
aka sylas
funny how my identifier is a baby now

Lian said...

Thanks for your imput guys! It is ironic how friendly people aren't when you have a screaming child...as if the crying is your fault! When I was a nanny I remember trying to open the door keep track of two kids, one of whom was tantrumming the other escaping, and clutching the useless stroller that neither would stay in! Everyone pretended I wasn't there although I'm sure I was quite a sight!

Anonymous said...

i'm so geeked. i was openly hoping it would be a lad. one that can now be trained in the arts of war. congrats, this crap comment box is such a poor substitute for real conversation.